Monday, September 16, 2013

For My Family (2)

Mama and Wayne  - 1948


Hello, I'm Jeanette and here to tell you my life story.  So let's begin with the most wonderful Mom and Dad you would ever want to meet.  Mama was born in Damascus, Virginia, and Daddy was born in Spartanburg,  South Carolina. Both of their families moved to High Point in the late 20's and early 30's; and of course you guessed it, they met and fell in love and were married...Grady and Willie.  The first home I remember was on South Main Street.  I'm told I was born on Foust St so we must have moved to Main St. when I was about two years old.

South Main was the best place to grow up in the 1940's.  My two best friends came along in a few years.  Grady, Jr. (I still call him Junior) and then Wayne.  Everyone always said they were too beautiful to be boys, and that was so true.  We grew up in a home that no one talked very much, but I know Junior and Wayne would agree that we all felt very safe and secure and very much loved.  So, I guess that is the reason we still don't talk very much but have great love for each other.

Our home on Main Street was a large white house that would be called a duplex today.  We lived on the left side, and Mama's sister Ruby with her husband Lester and daughter Jewell Dean lived on the right side.  We had a large porch with a banister across the front where the grown-ups would sit after supper in their favorite chair or in the  glider.  We kids would play and catch lightning bugs,  and then go sit on the embankment at the street and watch what few cars went by.We even had a sidewalk.  What did we do during the day.  We played outside and were lucky to have so many kids in our neighborhood.

 These photos were taken in our front yard in the mid-forties.  Daddy - Jewell -Jeanette - Mama holding Junior.                                                                                            
                                                                                           







                                                                                   
My home for 12 years
Just one of my many different hairstyles


The older I get, the more grateful I am for all the pictures that Mama and Daddy took of all our family.  Young people may not like the pictures they see of themselves when they are growing up, but when they become grandparents they will love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment