Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's not about the food

It's about being in love and being together and being homesick every now and then......1959

Where do I begin....a new chapter in both mine and Billy's life...We no longer live at home with three meals prepared and on the table. I know we both miss our mama's cooking, but I am eighteen and Billy is twenty one, so it's time we learn how to cook. I'll tell you a funny story which most of my family have already heard. Billy and Tommy were working on the car so I decided to fix supper.  I walked up to the grocery store which was only a short block away  and bought some collards.  I had helped Mama fix collards so I washed them, put them in a pot with water, let them cook, drained them; and then fried some streaked meat to season them.  I know we had cornbread, but don't remember what else we had.  When it was all ready, I went out where they were working and told them it was time to eat.

They were trying to be so nice.  I could see something was really wrong, and I soon found out.  When Billy's  mom, Mamie, cooked collards she would first boil a ham hock or pork roast; and then add the collards and cook them until they were done.    She would cook them a long time, and then take two knives and cut them up.   They were really chopped up.  Now I didn't hear all of this that night ,but learned later when I asked Mamie how to cook collards. As for the cornbread, mine was with self rising corn meal ,and it rises up when you bake in the over, and they thought it was a cake.  Mamie always used water ground corn meal, and it was very thin.  We all ate peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and they were very good.  I even got use to mashing up the banana with the peanut butter which was the way Billy made his sandwich.

So, maybe marriage is a lot about food....because we all love to cook a favorite meal for that special person.
I was so lucky to have Mama and Mamie help me along the way.  We are doing just fine.


Billy & Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment